Today I did some work and then went to the harvest festival at my local co-op. It was very lovely and came with an abundance of free samples which is always a plus.
This week’s poem is very short but it’s, one of my favorites.
In the Library
by Dorothea Grossman
The library always smells like this:
an ancient stew of vinegar and wood.
It’s autumn again,
and I can do anything.
©2008, Dorothea Grossman
Onform is a drawing exercise/game
Animated shorts that pay tribute to female pioneers of the field
Playlist that I’m listening to right now (I’m really feeling the Eastern Canandian vibe having just returned from a short trip there)
Recipes I want to try: Sweet and Savory
Treating brassica stems like bones in cooking
Rice pudding and homesickness
My pattern inspiration board
I moved back to school this week and I am getting back into the swing of having classes. It s strange to think that it’s been nearly two years since I spent any time in a lab. Fall is my favorite time of year. I love the way that it feels like the whole world is bending in close to sing one last lullaby before going to bed for the Winter. And yet this year, I’m struggling. I feel as if I am standing on unsteady ground sinking deeper with every breath. The homesickness is hitting me hard this year but I am not homesick for the home that I go to but for the one that I can’t get back anymore. I simply have to remind myself that I am walking forward. As long as I keep moving, I will continue to grow and in time, this cloud will be but a distant memory.
I ended up taking a break for the summer, mostly because I’m terrible at posting when I don’t have a set schedule, but like homework and ill timed late night heart to hearts, it’s September and I’m back!
A quick summary of the past three months or so:
- Started volunteering at a birth center after a lengthy and confusing application process. I mostly file things and I’m unreasonably excited about it
- Studied Russian very slowly, not feeling to great about it tbh
- Fell in love with Killjoys because best friends and siblings kicking ass in space with great world building and supporting characters is pretty much all I could ask for (plus it was renewed for a second season today)
- Went to Maine with my family and shared the most uncomfortable futon I have ever slept on with my sister for three days
- Went to my first comic con (as Kate Bishop/Hawkeye)
That pretty much sums it up
This website collects information and recipes on classic American food
How to make a hamster cage from a storage bin
Two Russian learning websites, one from UCLA and the other from a group in Russia
The Librarians (another favorite of mine) comes back in November
The Public Library in the Internet Age – a series by Michigan public radio